Monday, July 8, 2013

The Wedding Day

Hello,

I've just finished a best seller chick-flick book, Revenge Wears Prada. Where Andy, the main character, worked for herself in a wedding magazine. Being in the industry myself, it inspires me a little. Even though I'm not going to have my own wedding anytime soon but as a girl in her mid twenties, I already started imagining it.

At times, my imagination goes wild, I tell you. Mainly about the decoration and tiny bits like the stationaries. It's funny how this wedding stuffs can give me excitement.

However, grew up in Jakarta, Indonesia, I couldn't actually imagine my wedding day to be as eventful as a usual Indonesian/Jakarta wedding. What about it,you asked? Well, it's about inviting as many people as you could possibly imagine (more than 50% of them you don't even know), it's about having a variety of food stalls (plus the 9 varieties of foods on the bain maries), with an extravagant decorations; flowers; and lightings, it's also about standing on a stage; smiling; and hand shaking each and everyone of those many guests as you could possibly imagine (more than 50% of them you don't even know), holding a sword like cake knife to gesturally cut the sky-scrapper-cake , and lastly, to touch your partner's lips against yours while the master of ceremony's counting the longest 5 seconds in your life and the waitresses are popping confetti to you and all that also gotta be snapped by 2 or 3 photographers from every angle they could take but mostly they'd be just next to you circling around.  I wasn't just exaggerating cause I can assure you that pretty much what happens.. Ok, probably the sky-scrapper cake was a little exaggerate but the cake still is so big and tall. And the wealthier you are, the merrier it becomes (the number of the guests can reach up to a few thousands. No joke.).

I guess the start point was great, that you want to tell the whole world that you just marry someone you love and how your parents are so happy and proud that they also want to tell the whole world, want to gather every one they know to celebrate. But then, it became a show off thing and sadly, a culture. It did become a culture that I and TWB discussed this and pray that we don't have to follow Indonesian style wedding and our parents won't drive us crazy for not following the culture.

And also, because it's such a festivities thing, can you imagine the preparation itself? Having both of my brother and sister got married and other friends that already had and handling clients that are having one, it's pretty hectic and frantic. It's sort of they have a pressure of pleasing every one; themselves, partners, parents, friends, and families. For example, I often find when a bride trying a wedding dress they often listens to others that in the end prefers something others chose even though it's not as comfortable. Me and colleague always give our  opinion but also a reminder that in the end you're the bride, you're the one who'd be wearing it and not them.

Anyway, back to the book, there was a chapter where Andy has to cover a wedding of a movie star, Olive. Olive told her that her stylist picked every thing for her, even the wedding dress. Andy was very surprised and Olive said, "I found the guy! After more than twenty years of being single and jerked around and cheated on and alone, I found my soul mate. Pardon my French, but you think I give a shit about the flowers?"

That's very inspiring. I mean, as much as I love helping a client for their wedding, but yeah, what for? The main thing here is that a wedding day supposed to be about a girl and a boy who loves each other and want to be united as one. Full stop. And it's supposed to be up to them if they want to celebrate it or not, to have it big or small, with a cinderella dress or a mermaid dress, etc. Right? Plus a wedding day only a ceremony entering a marriage life, which the pin point, anyway.

I don't know about my wedding day later, how it's gonna be, but until then, here's to you and me and  I found my soul mate, I don't give a shit about the flowers! Ting!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * I have to skip few paragraph because I hadn't read the book. Better start breaking the news slowly to the parents? hehehe.

      Delete